Friday, February 3, 2012

Welcome!

My name is Brendan Barry (affectionately known as "The Beast" in my family). In 2006, I decided I'd had enough of being in debt. I decided I'd had enough of living paycheck to paycheck. I decided it was time to make a change! It was time to get my family's finances in order!


My wife, Andrea, and I hired a financial advisor. She was nice enough, showed us a basic budgeting form, helped us open a brokerage account, allocated our money, and helped us buy life and disability insurance. However, she didn't teach us HOW to budget, she pushed universal life insurance when I insisted on term and I seemed to have a better grasp of how to invest our money than she did.  It just didn't seem right.


During one of our visits with our advisor, I gave her some information I had discovered during some research and suggested we reallocate our portfolio. After researching on her own we all agreed to reallocate our money. At that point, I realized no one cared about our money more than we did! I had a decent handle (thanks to Benjamin Graham's "The Intelligent Investor") on the investing portion of our financial life but I was clueless as to how to budget, how to get out of debt, build our wealth and protect our wealth.


I searched Amazon for a book that would show us the way. I finally came across "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. This book was the road map I'd been looking for. I believe this book is an amazing foundation and highly recommend it. 


I've always been interested in finance but I've learned that my true passion in life is personal finance. I find myself listening to personal finance podcasts, reading personal finance books and magazines and constantly thinking about our financial situation.  I help my friends when it comes to financial decisions they're facing. I'm helping my friends and I love it! 


I hope my site helps you to learn how to budget your money, pay off your debt, build and protect your wealth. I hope it's the guide you've been looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment